Waffled Veggie Tots
Bite-size snacks packed with veggies and cheese? Yes, please! You can put them together with just a few ingredients and customize them with your favorite veggies — or make a few batches and offer up different vegetables for a sampler platter
Makes 10 to 12 tots
• Preheat waffle maker to medium-high
- Use a sharp (old) Cheddar or smoked Cheddar for a sophisticated flavor, or use medium Cheddar or mozzarella for a milder flavor. Or experiment with your favorite shreddable, melting-style cheese.
- If you have frozen vegetables, there’s no need to cook them first. Simply measure, thaw and squeeze dry.
- Use a heatproof silicone basting brush like a broom to sweep loose crumbs out of the waffle maker in between batches.
- These veggie tots are best enjoyed soon after baking; leftovers can be cooled and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 day, then reheated in the waffle maker on low or in a toaster oven.
- 3⁄4 cup panko, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded raw zucchini or finely chopped cooked broccoli or cauliflower
- Nonstick cooking spray
See also 3 of the Best Waffle Maker Recipes
- Spread 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) of the panko in a shallow dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, remaining panko, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Spread vegetables on a heavy-duty paper towel or lint-free tea towel, roll up and squeeze out excess liquid. Add to egg mixture and stir until evenly combined.
- Spray waffle maker with cooking spray. In batches as necessary, squeeze a slightly heaping tablespoonful (15 mL) of veggie mixture into a rough ball and gently roll in panko. As they are rolled, place tots in waffle maker, leaving at least 11⁄2 inches (4 cm) in between. Cook for about 3 minutes or until golden brown and edges no longer look wet. Transfer to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining veggie mixture and panko, spraying waffle maker as necessary between batches. Discard any excess panko. Serve warm.
Courtesy of 150 Best Waffle Maker Recipes by Marilyn Haugen © 2017 www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with permission. Available where books are sold.