Quick & Easy Gourmet: Creamy Pumpkin Soup
Published: August 20, 2010
I hope this orange soup pleases your family as much as it pleases mine! Serves 6 to 10, with maybe some leftovers.
Creamy Pumpkin Soup
Photo by John & Tanya Bäck
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium Vidalia onions, diced
- 2 16-ounce boxes of “certified organic” chicken broth
- 2 cups diced, peeled potatoes
- 2 ½ cups canned cooked pumpkin
- ½ teaspoon salt & pepper (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
➊ In a large saucepan add butter, onions and garlic, and sauté until soft & translucent.
➋ Add the chicken broth, potatoes and pumpkin, and boil over medium heat until the potatoes are tender, (around 20 minutes).
➌ Turn burner to simmer. Remove half the mixture from the heat and set aside.
➍ Slowly puree this half of the mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth and then return to the pan.
➎ Add the milk, spices, salt and pepper, and slowly bring back up to a low boil, making sure to stir frequently.
➏ Take off heat and adjust seasonings to taste. (You may need to add as much as a teaspoon more of salt.)
➐ Serve with a garnish of minced parsley & sour cream and a corn bread muffin.