Grilled French Toast à l’Orange
Published: May 1, 2009
French toast on the grill needs strong flavoring – orange zest is accented by the hint of smoke and shines alongside maple syrup. Use soft but sturdy bread, such as challah, brioche or Italian. No sugar in the mixture makes the crust less likely to burn, but be sure to clean your grill rack and oil it well before cooking.
Photo by John and Tanya Bäck
What you Need:
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 8 slices challah, brioche or Italian cut 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick
- Vegetable oil
- Maple syrup or powdered sugar
1. Preheat a gas grill on medium with the lid down for 10 minutes or prepare a medium charcoal fire.
2. Whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and orange zest in a wide, shallow bowl.
3. Turn each slice in the mixture, flipping several times before removing it to a plate. (Don’t let the bread soak too long, or each slice may get too wet for the grill.)
4. Brush the grill rack generously with vegetable oil and lay the slices on the rack.
5. Grill for about 3 minutes, then turn and grill another 3 to 4 minutes, until the French toast is lightly browned, with grill marks.
6. Remove to a clean serving platter
Register online for access to more valuable resource information.
Don't miss your connection to the reader forums, projects, photo galleries, and more.