Fried Plantains (Tostones)
Published: August 4, 2011
These taste great plain or you can dip them in a mixture of roasted minced garlic, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Serves 4.
Food styling and photos by John & Tanya Bäck
1. Peel and slice plantains approximately ½-inch thick on diagonal.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a large heavy skillet until the oil shimmers. Add plantain slices.
3. Flip each slice after a minute or two when slightly golden but before totally brown. Remove and drain.
4. When cool enough to handle, lay a slice of plantain on a cutting board and (with a knife or cleaver) gently push on the slice until you feel it smush underneath to approximately ¼-inch thick. Repeat with the remaining slices.
5. Remove the smushed slices from the cutting board with a spatula. Drop them into the skillet and fry again until golden brown.
6. Salt to taste. Keep warm in oven until ready to serve.