Grilled Jalapeño Poppers
Published: September 1, 2008
If you can find a less-expensive supermarket brand of bacon, it will usually be cut thinner, and those paper-thin slices of bacon are perfect for wrapping up these zesty poppers.
Photo by John and Tanya Bäck / blankets provided by Woolrich
What you Need:
- 12 jalapeños
- 3/4 cup grated Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
- 2 scallions, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 12 thin slices bacon
1. Make one lengthwise cut on each pepper and use a spoon or the tip of a knife to scrape out the seeds, keeping the stem intact. In a small bowl, stir together the cheese, scallions and salsa.
2. Stuff a spoonful of the filling into each pepper and wrap tightly with a slice of bacon. (You can pin the bacon closed with a toothpick if necessary, but if you use very thin bacon, it probably won’t be necessary.)
3. Preheat a gas grill on high with the lid closed for 10 minutes or prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill.
4. Place the peppers over direct heat and grill, turning frequently, until the bacon is browned