Moroccan-Spiced Meatballs with Mint Yogurt Sauce
Published: April 1, 2008
|Cumin, coriander and mint are the flavors of the Middle East, and they shine in these juicy meatballs with a tangy yogurt sauce. Just before serving, lightly brush 6 pita breads with olive oil and grill for 1-2 minutes until slightly crisp outside and just hot inside – the pita breads will puff up like they’re freshly baked. |
What you Need:
For yogurt sauce:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 small yellow onion, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs (from 3 slices white bread)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1. Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and season to taste with salt. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
2. Preheat a gas grill on medium for 10 minutes with the lid closed, or prepare a medium-hot charcoal fire.
3. Place all the meatball ingredients in a large bowl and combine well. Form into meatballs just smaller than a ping-pong ball and flatten slightly.
4. Grill over direct heat for 10-12 minutes, turning frequently, until nicely browned and a bit charred in spots. Serve hot or let cool just to room temperature, with yogurt sauce for dipping or drizzling.
Register online for access to more valuable resource information.
Don't miss your connection to the reader forums, projects, photo galleries, and more.