My father’s favorite Christmas candies are the chocolate-covered orange jelly sticks. When I can’t find them in the store, this makes a great alternative. It is one for those who love rich and sweet! Makes 16 small servings.
Food styling and photo by John & Tanya Bäck
1 12-ounce bag milk chocolate chips
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons butter
6 ounces white chocolate chips
1+ teaspoons orange extract*
1 tablespoon orange zest
Orange gel food coloring (optional)
1. Line an 8x8-inch pan with wax paper.
2. In a medium microwaveable bowl, combine milk chocolate chips, semisweet chocolate chips, 1 tablespoon butter, 2/3 can of sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract.
3. Microwave 30 seconds to 1 minute at a time, stopping and stirring between times, until smooth.
4. Spread the mixture evenly across the bottom of the pan and set aside.
5. In a small microwaveable bowl, combine white chocolate chips, 1 tablespoon butter, remaining sweetened condensed milk, orange extract, orange zest and optional food coloring. (*When adding flavored extract, start with 1 teaspoon, taste, then add more to your liking.)
6. Microwave 45 seconds to 1 minute at a time, stopping and stirring between times, until smooth.
7. Spoon the mixture on top of the chocolate fudge and swirl the two colors together lightly with a knife.
8. Chill for 1 hour. Keep in the refrigerator between servings, as this fudge will get soft and melt if kept at room temperature.
Tip: The fudge needs to be stored cold. For gift giving, package it between 2 sheets of wax paper and place in a decorative tin or flat box. Refrigerate it or freeze it before you gift. By the time it gets to their table, it’ll be good for eating!