Summer Berry Jam
Published: July 1, 2009
|Basic Berry Jam|
This basic berry jam recipe leaves room for your own creativity – just pick your favorite berries to create a flavor all your own.
Yield: 4-6 pints of jam.
What you Need:
- 2 pounds summer berries (blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, huckleberries)
- 1 pound sugar
- 2 tablespoons liqueur (amaretto, Grand Marnier, Frangelico, brandy) Or 1-2 teaspoons powdered spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, ginger)
- 4–6 pint canning jars
- 1 boiling water canner
- Canning equipment
1. Mix the berries with the sugar in a large saucepan or stock pot over medium low heat. Use a wooden spoon to crush the berries as they heat, and bring the mixture to a boil. If you are using spices, add them now.
2. Simmer, stirring constantly, for at least 30 minutes. To test for doneness, take a small spoonful of jam from the pot and put it in the freezer for three minutes, then take it out. If the jam does not run off the spoon, it is done.
3. Take the jam off the heat. If you are using liqueur, stir it in now.
4. Ladle jam into hot sterilized jars.
Look for this icon. This denotes premium subscriber content.
Learn more »
Free Twice-Monthly E-Newsletter
Receive useful tips & inspiration from Cabin Life