Carrots Au Gratin
Published: November 1, 2008
Photo by John and Tanya Bäck
“Here is one of our family’s traditional holiday recipes, used year after year. I couldn’t decide which recipes to send because they are all so good!”
Elk Grove Village, Ill.
What you Need:
- 1/2 cup corn flake crumbs
- 1/3 cup margarine, melted
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- (use low-fat cheese for a healthier option)
- 4 cups cooked sliced carrots, drained
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1. Mix cornflake crumbs and 2/3 of the margarine, set aside.
2. Add onion to remaining margarine and sauté until clear.
3.Add flour, salt and pepper to onion.
4. Stir in milk to onion mixture.
5. Increase heat to medium and cook mixture until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.
6. Add cheese to mixture and stir until smooth.
7. Stir in carrots and parsley flakes to mixture.
8. Spread in shallow 11/2-quart baking dish, sprinkle with crumbs and margarine mixture.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until bubbly and crumbs are golden brown.