Super-Simple, Just-Right Chicken Thighs
Published: March 1, 2007
You can use drumsticks, too, but the extra fat in chicken thighs melts down during the slow grilling and makes for a super-moist, flavorful finish.
Photo by dreamstime.com
What you Need:
- 4-5 pounds chicken thighs, skin on
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat a gas grill on high with the lid closed for 10 minutes. While the grill heats, rub olive oil all over the chicken thighs and sprinkle liberally with the salt and pepper.
2. Put the chicken over a direct flame and sear both sides of each piece, turning several times to prevent charring.
3.Turn off one side of the grill and move the chicken to the “off” side. Close the lid to retain the heat from the “on” side and cook for 35-40 minutes, turning the pieces occasionally and shifting them around so some are closer to the heat source.
4. When an instant-read thermometer shows 180 in the thickest part of the thigh, remove from the grill. All the fat will have dissolved, leaving tender meat and crisp skin. Like fried chicken, these taste good either hot off the grill or at room temperature.
Register online for access to more valuable resource information.
Don't miss your connection to the reader forums, projects, photo galleries, and more.