Grilled Crispy Salmon with Cucumber Salad
Published: January 12, 2012
This is the entree course from "Romantic Dinner for Two" (February 2012). Also see the appetizer and dessert courses.
GRILLED CRISPY SALMON – Food styling and photo by John & Tanya Bäck
This one requires some simple choreography: Make the noodles while you preheat the grill, make the cucumber salad while the salmon marinates, and try a few dance steps with your lady while the salmon’s resting off the grill. Pair with Dashwood Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. Makes 2 servings.
1 package egg noodles
Butter to taste
Parsley, chopped, to taste
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and cook egg noodles according to package instructions.
2. In a serving dish, toss noodles with butter, chopped parsley, and a little Parmesan. Cover the dish with foil to keep it hot while you finish the salmon.
1 side of salmon, about 11⁄2 pounds, skin on
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1. Preheat a gas grill on high for 10 minutes with the lid closed. While the grill heats, brush or rub half of the olive oil on the salmon skin. In a cup, combine the remaining olive oil with the soy sauce, sesame oil and garlic. Cut six diagonal slits in the surface of the salmon, and rub the soy sauce mixture into the fish, rubbing it down into the slits. Let it sit while you make the cucumber salad.
2. Place the salmon, skin side down, over direct heat. Cook 8–10 minutes without moving it, but watch closely to make sure the skin isn’t burning. If the flames flare up, turn down the heat a little.
3. Remove the salmon to a serving platter, and let it rest 3–5 minutes, but serve it quickly while the skin is still crisp, with the buttered noodles and cucumber salad.
1 seedless “English” cucumber, peeled and sliced thin
2 scallions, sliced thin
1⁄4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Toss all the ingredients together. Adjust the seasoning to taste; you may want a little more sour cream, lemon juice, salt or sugar.